BMC Helix ITSM Migration Service
This Service migrates Customer’s existing Remedy ITSM on-premises platform to BMC Helix ITSM 21.3 and conducts performance testing of Advanced Configurations* and integrations to identify potential performance bottlenecks prior to production go-live.
What you get:
BMC will perform the following:
Analyze and Design
- Identify and document Non-standard Configurations* and Non-standard Integrations*
- Prepare Migration Design Document
Prepare for Migration
- Conduct walkthrough of the migration process
- Install BMC Helix Data Manager in Customer’s environment
- Run BMC Helix Data Manager discovery and data mapping
- Prepare Deployment Plan
Migrate and Test
- Migrate Foundation Data*, Application Data*, and reporting and transactional data. This may include data from IT service management (ITSM), Smart IT, and BMC Digital Workplace.
- Migrate Standard Configurations* and Standard Integrations*
- Repoint existing Standard Integrations on the target system to the BMC Helix ITSM platform
- Perform Unit Testing
- Assist Customer with System Testing and Integration Testing for up to three weeks
Prepare for Performance Testing
- Review performance testing approach for Advanced Configurations* and integrations with Customer
- Identify and modify up to 10 Helix Prescriptive Test Cases* (chosen by Customer) for creating user workloads. Each test case may have up to 10 fields per test case
- Identify up to three integrations (based on REST, API, or Web Services) for creating simulated inbound integration workloads
Conduct Performance Testing
- Simulate peak concurrent usage using Customer-defined workloads and capture performance results
- Simulate network latency of 0ms/50ms/300ms and capture performance results
- Identify bottlenecks and provide recommended actions
Final Cut-over and Post-Production Assistance
- Execute final cut-over as documented in the Migration Design Document
- Provide post-production assistance for up to one week
Customer will be responsible for:
- Provisioning an on-premises environment to install BMC Helix Data Manager and host a copy of the required databases
- Provisioning on-premises client gateway servers to facilitate connectivity between Customer’s on premises systems and the BMC Helix system
- Configuring the staging database in Customer’s environment
- Restoring copy of Customer’s production database on Customer’s staging database
- Providing access to BMC consultants to their Remedy ITSM on-premises staging environment
- Provide a fast, reliable connection from the on-premises staging server to the BMC Helix FTP server
- Performing user functional testing for a period of up to three weeks before production go live
- Providing information on Customer’s expected user workloads, integration loads, network access, and latency in preparation for performance testing
- Providing an application subject matter expert (SME) with a good knowledge of Customer’s Advanced Configurations and integrations. This SME will also be required to assist with Unit Testing
- Providing SME for any integrated applications to perform repointing of integrations and assist with Unit Testing
- Remediating Non-standard Advanced Configurations and Non-standard Integrations
- Applying fixes to Standard Configurations and Standard Integrations for non-migration related issues identified during user functional testing or performance testing
BMC will migrate your on premise Remedy ITSM based on one of the approaches below:
|Delivery Options||Success Credits Required|
Solution Scope and Assumptions
- Migration and testing will be performed on QA and Pre-production environments
- Performance testing will be executed in the Pre-production environment
- User loads and integration workloads will be generated using the JMeter load testing tool
- Performance testing will be run at a BMC data center
- Integration tests are simulated and do not represent end-to-end integration components
- BMC assumes no data integrity issues in Customer’s environment
Project Milestones: The following Milestones are established between the Customer and BMC. Once BMC has reached a milestone, the BMC project manager will issue a milestone completion letter to Customer.
- Milestone 1: Upon delivery of the Project Schedule
- Milestone 2: Upon delivery and approval of the Migration Design Document
- Milestone 3: Upon delivery and approval of the Deployment Plan
- Milestone 4: Upon completion of the Project Closeout meeting and the delivery of the project completion letter
Deliverables: Using BMC’s standard methodology and templates, the following Deliverables are in scope for this project and will be delivered:
- Project Schedule
- Project Status Report
- Migration Design Document
- Deployment Plan
- Performance Test Report
Completion Criteria: BMC will have completed these Consulting Services when the in-scope Consulting Services have been completed and the Deliverables have been delivered to the Customer Project Manager.
Customer’s on premises BMC products:
- BMC ITSM is between version 9.1 up to 20.08
- BMC Digital Workplace Catalog is version 20.02 or 20.08
- BMC Smart IT is version 2.0 or later
- Customer’s on premises database is Microsoft SQL Server or Oracle
- Estimated Duration: 18-20 weeks
- In-Scope Products: BMC Helix Digital Workplace, BMC Helix ITSM
- Service Type: Deployment
- Availability: Active
- Success Service Code: MIGR_ITSM_002, MIGR_ITSM_002_Onshore
- Date Last Updated: 09/01/2022
Advanced Configuration: For features that do not exist out-of-the-box, an Advanced Configuration can accommodate on forms, active links, filters, escalations, integrations, menus, reports, or dashboards.
Application Data: Application data is optional data that can be loaded into the system. Examples of this include assignment routing, incident templates, and change approval mappings.
Country-Specific Staffing: Upon Customer’s request and BMC resource availability, BMC will deviate from BMC’s Standard Delivery model. BMC will work with Customer to understand and address their country-specific staffing requirements. The staffing choice from which country a BMC resource comes from will be mutually agreed to by BMC and Customer.
Foundation Data: Foundation data is data required for the application to function properly and is defined as:
- Sites and Location Structures
- Support Organizations and Groups
- People (includes group memberships, application permissions, and functional roles)
- Operational Services Catalog
- Software Catalog
Helix Prescriptive Test Cases: A set of BMC pre-defined test cases for ITSM, BMC Digital Workplace, and Smart IT from which Customer will choose to be modified to test their BMC Helix Pre-production environment to reflect changes due to Advanced Configurations.
Integration Testing: Integration testing is a procedure to validate that the BMC integration components are functioning properly.
Non-standard Configurations: Non-standard Configurations are those configurations that do not follow the requirements as defined under the definition of Standard Configurations.
Non-standard Integrations: Non-standard Integrations are those integrations that do not follow the requirements as defined under the definition of Standard Integrations.
Standard Configurations: For purposes of this migration offering, BMC’s definition of “Standard Configurations” are those configurations, advanced configurations, and customizations that follow BMC Helix Operations recommended best practices which are:
- Customizations may not involve the installation of a third-party application in the cloud
- Customizations are not using any Run process commands to execute non-BMC created executable, batch, or Java ARchive (JAR) files
- No direct write connection to the database is allowed. Read-only access is permitted via an ODBC or JDBC connection only
- No direct SQL statements are allowed in the workflow
Customizations should not involve any changes to the standard BMC Helix service image or infrastructure configuration, for example, a different Java Runtime Environment (JRE) or Java Development Kit (JDK) version other than BMC's standard version is not allowed.
Standard Delivery: A mix of BMC consultants and project managers sourced from various BMC locations.
Standard Integrations: BMC provides a flexible model for data integrations to and from its BMC Helix services. Integrations may be configured using any approved communication method or adapter. The following is the list of approved integration methods: C API, Java API, AR System plug-ins, Open Database Connectivity (ODBC) access, BMC Atrium Integrator (AI) adapter, Managed File Transfer (MFT), Security Assertion Markup Language (SAML), Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP), and Computer Telephony Integration (CTI).
System Testing: System testing is a procedure to validate that the BMC components are working as a complete solution as designed.
Unit Testing: Unit testing is a procedure to validate that the individual units of each application are functioning properly.